JICA’s support of SIAP to help enhance Agri-Production

Agriculture and Livestock

LAHORE: Scientific means for efficient use of canal water and its equitable distribution is very useful in gaining better agro-productivity but for that, it is equally important that the farmers should play a proactive role in making the irrigation sector reforms a real success. In this regard, Punjab Irrigation & Drainage Authority (PIDA) is helping the farmers through many useful interventions aiming at increasing the farmers role in management affairs of water channels.

This was stated by General Manager PIDA, Syed Zahid Ali while addressing a meeting to review the progress on Strengthening Irrigated Agriculture through participatory management in Punjab (SIAP) project at Area Water Board of Lower Chenab Canal (West) Circle on Sunday.

The project was being implemented with the cooperation of Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA).

Chairman Area Water Board Malik Shamsher Khan, Chief Executive Inayat Ullah Cheema, besides PIDA high ups were also present. The meeting reviewed in detail the progress of SIAP Project and hoped that it will help to enhance agro- productivity by adopting the latest water saving techniques.

GM PIDA Zahid Ali told that comprehensive campaign was in progress to train the farmers about the efficient use of canal water and added that mobilization teams have been deputed to educate farmers in their respective areas.

Agri-Engineer SIAP, Mian Usman told that the process of laser land levelling at an area of 192 acres in Pubber Wala Distributary has been completed. Farmers have deposited 20 percent upfront cost of the project while the remaining 80 percent expenditures have been borne out by the government. Similarly, Rs.2.13 lakh have been collected for the installation of drip irrigation system by the farmers, he added.

GM PIDA further said that all the developmental activities should be completed well in time. Likewise, work on Bed & Furrow should also be started soon so that the process of canal water management could be further encouraged.

Leave a Reply