At least 25 people killed in Kabul suicide bombings

Kabul At least 25 people, including an AFP photographer and a cameraman for a local TV station, were killed in a coordinated double suicide bombing that hit Afghan capital Kabul on Monday morning.

Kabul police spokesman Hashmat Stanekzai was quoted by The Associated Press as saying that at least 45 people were wounded in the twin attacks. He added that four policemen were among those killed.

The attack was the latest in a relentless string of deadly large-scale bombings and assaults that have struck in Kabul and elsewhere in Afghanistan so far this year. No one immediately claimed responsibility for Monday’s attack, but both Taliban and so-called Islamic State (IS) group are active and have repeatedly claimed attacks in Kabul.

The suicide blasts took place in the central Shash Darak area, which is home to the NATO headquarters and a number of embassies in Afghanistan.

Stanekzai said the first suicide bomber was on a motorbike, noting that second explosion was meant to hit those rushing to the scene of the attack to help the victims of the first blast.

He said the second attacker was on foot, in a crowd of reporters that had rushed to the scene of the first attack, pretending to be one of the media. He then detonated his explosives while still among the reporters, the spokesman said, intentionally targeting journalists.

Agence France-Presse (AFP) reported that the news agency’s chief photographer in Kabul, Shah Marai, was killed in a blast that struck a group of journalists who had rushed to the scene of the earlier suicide attack in the capital.

Sediqullah Tawhidi, an official from the Afghan Journalist Safety Committee, said a cameraman form the local TOLO TV was also killed in the second blast.

Source: International Islamic News Agency