Tag Archives: Company News

France mourns death of hero gendarme who took place of supermarket hostage

Paris The French policeman who swapped himself for a hostage held by a gunman has died of his wounds, Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said Saturday.

“Lieutenant-Colonel Arnaud Beltrame has passed away. He died for his country. France will never forget his heroism, his bravery, his sacrifice,” the minister wrote on his Twitter account. Beltrame was shot and stabbed after swapping himself for a hostage in a rampage and siege. He died of his wounds Saturday, becoming the gunman’s fourth victim.

In a statement from the Elysee presidential palace President Emmanuel Macron also praised the “exceptional courage” of Beltrame. “The President of the Republic has learned with great sadness the death of Lieutenant-Colonel Arnaud Beltrame during the night from injuries received in the exercise of his mission. By offering himself as a hostage to the terrorist entrenched in the TrAbes supermarket, Lieutenant-Colonel Beltrame saved the life of a civil hostage, showing exceptional courage and exceptionality. “At the heart of the action, Lieutenant-Colonel Beltrame has shown exceptional coolness and illustrated the military virtues in a vivid manner, which deserves the respect and admiration of the entire nation. Lieutenant-Colonel Arnaud Beltrame died in the service of the nation, to which he had already given so much. By giving his life to put an end to the murderous pursuit of a jihadist terrorist, he has fallen as a hero. The President of the Republic extends his most sincere condolences to his widow, his friends, and his brothers in arms. He called every Frenchman to honor his memory.

The gunman, identified as 26-year-old Redouane Lakdim, shot dead two people at the supermarket after earlier opening fire on passengers in a car, killing one of them, and injuring a police officer in nearby Carcassonne. Speaking at the scene on Friday Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said a police team immediately intervened after the start of the siege at around 11 a.m. They managed to get some of the people out,” he said, but the attacker kept one hostage back as a human shield.

Beltrame then offered to take the hostage’s place and remained holed up with Lakdim while negotiations to end the standoff continued. The officer “left his telephone on the table”, to allow police that had surrounded the building in the sleepy town of 5,000 inhabitants listen in, Collomb said. “When we heard shots the GIGN (an elite police force) intervened,” the minister said. Beltrame’s name was the top trend on Twitter on Saturday morning as people in France and around the world lined up to pay tribute to the gendarme.

Source: International Islamic News Agency

Turkish military says has encircled Syria’s Afrin town

Turkish forces have made substantial advances against Kurdish militants in Syria’s Afrin town.

Speaking to local administrators in Ankara today, President Rajab Tayyip Erdogan said the Turkish army and its allies would soon capture the town completely.

He said civilians are being evacuated from Afrin in cars through a special corridor.

Earlier, the Turkish forces said they have encircled the town.

Source: Radio Pakistan

Domestic cricket infrastructure development needs improvement: Pirzada

Minister for Inter-Provincial Coordination Riaz Hussain Pirzada says Pakistan Cricket Board is annually spending a huge amount on cricket and its infrastructure.

Speaking in the National Assembly during the question hour today, he said the domestic cricket infrastructure development needes improvement in the country for which PCB is trying its level best.

He said PCB is making improvements in the domestic structure as per changes in the game of cricket due to modern techniques and technologies. The Minister said PCB has established High Performance Centers at Karachi and Multan which are operational.

He further said that PCB is in the process of upgrading the National Stadium Karachi to hold the final of Pakistan Super League 2018.

Source: Radio Pakistan

PAKISTANI SECURITY FORCES THWART MAJOR TERROR BID IN BALOCHISTAN, 6 TERRORISTS ARRESTED

ISLAMABAD, Pakistani security forces Friday thwarted a major terrorist bid in southwestern Balochistan Province and apprehended six terrorists during multiple operations, the military said.

An army statement said that paramilitary frontier corps carried out intelligence-based operations in different parts of Karbala and Pishin areas of the province.

At least 500 kg of explosive materials have been recovered from the possession of the arrested, a statement from the army’s media wing Inter-Services Public Relations said.

The paramilitary frontier corps also recovered arms and ammunition from the possession of the suspects, including explosive jackets, sub-machine guns and improvised explosive devices. Mines and tools of communication were also seized during the operation.

The operations were part of the ongoing operation “Radd-ul-Fassad” in Balochistan Province, a military offensive against the “latent threat of terrorism” across the country, which was launched in February 2017.

Source: Nam News Network

Jordan calls on Israel to ‘immediately’ reverse decisions on Jerusalem churches

Amman The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan on Sunday condemned the Israeli occupation authorities’ decisions on Jerusalem churches and properties as a violation of international law, demanding Israel to immediately reverse these decisions.

The Israeli authorities, which have recently imposed a property tax on churches worth up to millions of shekels, proposed imposition of municipal taxes on churches and a land appropriation law.

Jordanian Government Spokesman Mohammad Al-Momani reiterated the Kingdom’s absolute rejection of Israeli authorities’ systematic measures to change the historical and legal status quo in East Jerusalem’s holy sites, including Islamic and Christian property and endowments.

Al-Momani noted that the Israeli measures violate international and humanitarian laws as well as arrangements of the historical situation that has been existing for many years. He affirmed that churches are always exempt from paying taxes to the existing civil authorities in the city.

The spokesman said these steps clearly target the historical Christian presence in Jerusalem, which is an essential part of the holy city’s history and its historical, human, religious and civilizational heritage, and embodies the values of interfaith coexistence in its fullest form. He called on Israel “to immediately reverse the decisions taken against churches and to respect its obligations as an occupying power in East Jerusalem in accordance with international law.

Jerusalem’s Christian leaders on Sunday decided to close the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in the Old City of Jerusalem, in protest against Israel’s tax policy and a proposed land appropriation law.

Source: International Islamic News Agency

UN: Israel demolishes 6 EU-funded structures in January, 44 schools awaiting demolition

Jerusalem,Israeli authorities demolished six European Union-funded structures in Area C of the occupied West Bank in January under the pretext of lack of building permit while 44 schools have pending demolition orders, a report on Israeli demolition of Palestinian structures during January by the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA) said on Friday.

OCHA said in another report also published on Friday on the protection of civilians in the occupied Palestinian territories covering the first two weeks of February that the Israeli authorities demolished or seized 25 structures in Area C and occupied East Jerusalem on the grounds of lack of building permits, including a donor-funded school.

As a result of the latest Israeli measures, 33 Palestinians, including 18 children, were displaced and another 135 were otherwise affected.

OCHA said two classrooms serving 26 Palestinian 3rd and 4th grade school children were demolished in the Bedouin and refugee community of Abu Nuwar, in Area C on the outskirts of Jerusalem on February 4. This is one of the 46 Bedouin communities in the central West Bank at risk of forcible transfer, due to the coercive environment exerted on them, including relocation plans by the Israeli authorities.

It is estimated that at least 44 schools – 36 in Area C and 8 in East Jerusalem – have pending demolition or stop-work orders. Of the other structures targeted during the reporting period, 15 were in East Jerusalem (Silwan, Beit Hanina, and al-Isawiya) and nine were in Area C, including in the herding community of Um al Jmal (Tubas) and in Wadi Qana (Salfit).

The six EU-funded structures demolished in January – two residential and four animal shelters worth about Euros 7,700 – were in the Palestinian Bedouin community of al Jiftlik Abu al Ajaj, in the central Jordan Valley. They were provided in response to a demolition that occurred a year ago.

The demolition affected a family residing in an area of this community, which is designated by the Israeli authorities as a ‘firing zone’; the road leading to that area was also damaged and blocked following the demolitions.

Another eight structures funded by the EU and its member states were served with stop-work orders and face imminent demolition on the ground they were being built without a permit.

OCHA said Israel demolished or seized 32 Palestinian-owned structures across the West Bank in January, approximately the same number of structures as the 2017 monthly average. As a result, 37 people were displaced and another 82 were otherwise affected.

It said nearly 60 percent of the structures, or 19 out of 32, were in East Jerusalem, all demolished on grounds of lack of Israeli-issued building permits, which are nearly impossible to obtain.

The largest incident occurred in the neighborhood of al-Isawiya, where the Israeli municipality of West Jerusalem along with the National Parks Authority demolished 12 commercial and animal-related structures.

Another two structures, two multi-story buildings under construction, were demolished in Bir Onah, a residential area within the municipal boundary of Jerusalem, which is physically severed from the city by the apartheid barrier.

Four incidents took place in Area C in January involving the demolition or seizure of nine structures were also on grounds of lack of Israeli-issued building permits.

In 2017, two EU-funded schools in the communities of Abu Nuwar and Jubbet Adh Dhib, in the Jerusalem and Bethlehem governorates, were affected by seizures on grounds of lack of Israeli permits, and a kindergarten in the Jabal al-Baba community in the Jerusalem governorate, not funded by the EU, was demolished.

Children living in other Area C communities lacking a school often must walk or travel long distances to reach their schools and are exposed to settler harassment or searches at checkpoints. These constraints undermine the quality of education and increase the chances of early dropout.

Meanwhile, during a military operation in Jenin city, reportedly aimed at arresting the suspected perpetrators of a shooting attack in which an Israeli settler was killed, the Israeli military bulldozed and destroyed another four structures, including three homes and a greenhouse.

Source: International Islamic News Agency