Initial work completed for installation of 50 MW coal power in Sundar Industrial Estate

LAHORE: Punjab Industrial Estates (PIE) has completed initial work to install the first ever 50 megawatt (MW) coal power generation plant in Sundar Industrial Estate (SIE) in Lahore while process of getting license from NEPRA is underway.

For this purpose, the Board of Director of PIE has established a power committee under PIE, which will look after this and other power related projects of industrial estates of Punjab.

Chairman of PIE, SM Tanveer in a briefing to Lahore Economic Journalist Association on Thursday said extension work of 132 KVA grid station of PIE was also underway to add additional 34 megawatt in the industrial estate system to ensure uninterrupted availability of power to the industries of the SIE.

Meanwhile, PIE has also started Industrial Estate development work in Bahlwal and Rahim Yar Khan with its own resources, he said adding that planning and development of ten other industrial estates in the province was also underway.

He said these industrial estates would be established in Kasur Tannery Park, Gujrat, Vehari, Bahawalpur, D G Khan, Wazirabad Cutlery Cluster, Jhang, Okara, Sahiwal and Rawalpindi. He said PIE was working under the vision of Punjab Chief Minister Muhammad Shahbaz Sharif to make the Punjab an industrial hub in the country with all modern facilities.

He said a 100-acre Halal Park would also be established in Rahim Yar Khan and Multan Industrial Estates to promote the Halal products of Pakistan and get its share from world Halal food market. He said PIEDMC made the public private partnership concept successful and completing its project without support of any government institution. He said the Punjab government had given Rs 1 billion only at the time the PIEDMC was established—and now the company is worth around Rs 15 billion.

Talking about the financials of the company, S M Tanveer said that PIE BoD approved 2005 to 2008 accounts while international repute Internal and External Auditors was appointed for self-accountability of the PIEDMC.

He said SIE is a state-of-the-art industrial estate in Pakistan where all utilities and concerned departments offices including SNGPL, EOBI and Social Security were established. He said as the result of the present management of the PIE, the Punjab government had abolished capital value tax. He said the master plan of Bahlwal Industrial Estate was completed and litigations in Multan Industrial Estate were finished so that work on Phase-II of this estate could be started.

PIEDMC is under process of developing Rahim Yar Khan, Bhalwal, Multan Phase II and Vehari industrial estates and total available land is 1590 acres whereas the sellable land is 1,094 acres—approx 70% of the total land. Whereas the remaining 30% will be used for horticulture and infrastructure development.

Chairman of PIE informed it is worth mentioning that through industrialisation of these industrial estates “we will generate 192,000 jobs.” He further explained the total contribution in the GDP of the country would be approx Rs 17 billion.

Leave a Reply