Construction of new industrial zone for tanneries start

Trade and industry

Sialkot: The construction of an international standard Tanneries Zone has been started on 384 acres of land near village Khambraanwala-Sialkot (adjacent to Sialkot International Airport) with an estimated cost of Rs. 780 million, with a sole aim to purge the export-oriented Sialkot city from tanneries pollution by shifting all the 300 small and medium sized tanneries to tanneries zone.

According to the District Officer (Environment) Imtiaz Rasul Alvi, the provincial government will provide the 75 percent of the total estimated cost of this project while the rest 25 percent cost would be shared by the Sialkot Chamber of Commerce and Industry(SCCI).

He said that this project would be completed within the next three to five years, where a high standard treatment would be established which would clean as many as 2.5 cusecs waste of this project and the treated waste would be dumped into a Nullah , having the capacity of 300 cusecs.

Leave a Reply