Category Archives: Business & Finance

Trump says N Korea no longer a nuclear threat

North Korea no longer poses a nuclear threat, nor is it the biggest and most dangerous problem for the United States, President Donald Trump said on Wednesday on his return from a summit in Singapore with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

The summit was the first between a sitting U.S. president and a North Korean leader and followed a flurry of North Korean nuclear and missile tests and angry exchanges between Trump and Kim last year that fueled fears of war.

Everybody can now feel much safer than the day I took office, Trump said on Twitter.

There is no longer a nuclear threat from North Korea. Meeting with Kim Jong Un was an interesting and very positive experience. North Korea has great potential for the future!

On Tuesday, Trump told a news conference after the summit that he would like to lift sanctions against the North but that this would not happen immediately.

North Korean state media lauded the summit as a resounding success, saying Trump expressed his intention to halt U.S.-South Korea military exercises, offer security guarantees to the North and lift sanctions against it as relations improve.

Kim and Trump invited each other to their respective countries and both leaders gladly accepted, the North’s Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said.

Kim Jong Un and Trump had the shared recognition to the effect that it is important to abide by the principle of step-by-step and simultaneous action in achieving peace, stability and denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula, KCNA said. (Reuters)

China hopes that all parties could grasp moment of positive changes on the Korean peninsula

Speaking in a daily news briefing in Beijing, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman said that his country hopes that all parties could grasp the moment of positive changes on the Korean peninsula to take constructive steps towards a political resolution and promoting denuclearization.

Meanwhile ,Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov told reporters in Moscow that the US-North Korean has helped reduce tensions on the Korean Peninsula.

He said it would have been wrong to have expected that all of the issues surrounding North Korea’s missile and nuclear program could have been solved in an hour.

He said we still need to analyze the results of the meeting but the fact that it took place can only be welcomed.

Source: Radio Pakistan

Can Afghan Armistice Open Door for Peace Talks?

Hopes for direct peace talks are high in Afghanistan after the Taliban agreed to a unilateral cease-fire from the Afghan government.

A former high-ranking Taliban official said the temporary peace deal could be extended and efforts for direct peace talks could be made.

“It is even possible the talks to be held with Americans, Afghanistan [the Afghan government] and Taliban. It is much easier than shed blood in the battlefield, kill and spread hatred,” Mullah Abdul Salam Zaeef, Taliban’s former ambassador to Pakistan, told VOA.

“The people of Afghanistan should take advantage of the opportunity and talk to both sides to extend the cease-fire for three months, it is our and people’s wish,” he added.

In a televised address Thursday, Afghan President Ashraf Ghani announced the unilateral weeklong cease-fire with the Taliban, from June 12-20.

On Saturday, Afghan Taliban released a statement agreeing to three days of a cease-fire, from June 15-18.

Although the conditions and the length of the cease-fire by both sides differ, the hopes are high for advancement toward a lasting peace in the country.

Peace council

The Afghan High Peace Council, the body tasked with facilitating peace talks with Taliban insurgents, expressed optimism about the new developments.

“We are hopeful that this historical move ensues direct, Afghan-owned and -led peace talks,” Sayed Ehsan Taheri, spokesperson for the council, told VOA.

The Afghan government, which took the lead and offered unconditional peace talks and a cease-fire with the Taliban, is hoping for more from the deal.

“We welcome the Taliban response and [are] looking forward to seeing it turned into opportunities for lasting peace in Afghanistan,” Shah Hussain Murtazawi, a spokesperson for Afghan President Ghani, told VOA.

The Taliban, which announced their cease-fire after the Afghan government, would not say if it was a direct response to the Afghan government’s action.

Taliban spokesperson Zabihullah Mujahid in an interview with a local Afghan Radio station, Spogmai Radio, said this is not the first time the group called a pause in fighting.

“We have been stopping fighting during the Eid days, but we would not announce it publicly due to security reasons,” Mujahid said.

The first-ever cease-fire by Taliban can be considered “exceptional,” experts argue.

“Maybe Taliban stopped fighting during the Eid days in the past, however, this time around, the cease-fire is exceptional. We are very hopeful that warring parties use this period to extend the cease-fire,” Khalil Roman, a Kabul-based political expert, told VOA.

In the 17 years the war has been going on, this is the first time Afghans have officially experienced an armistice between the Afghan government and Taliban.

Ahmad Jawad Rahimi, a California-based Afghan analyst, is giving the credit of the cease-fire to what he calls “a systemic change and a very strategic action by the Afghan leaders.”

“This absolutely can lead to a longer term for peace and it also opens the doors for negotiations and talks between the Afghan and Taliban leaders. However, for this to work, we have to have national and international support,” Rahimi said. “I am positive that Afghan-led peace process will lead to a very successful and peaceful future of the Afghan people, which we have been waiting for for decades.”

International support

Today in China, members of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization, including Russia, China, India and Pakistan, unanimously announced their support for the Afghan peace process.

The members of the organization vowed to support the Afghan government and work to bring peace and stability to the war-torn country.

NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg voiced his support for the Afghan cease-fire in a tweet Saturday.

In a written statement, the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) welcomed news of the joint cease-fire.

“The United Nations maintains that there can be no military solution to the conflict in Afghanistan, and welcomes these cease-fires as positive developments toward reducing the violence in Afghanistan and ending the war,” said Tadamichi Yamamoto, the U.N. Secretary-General’s Special Representative for Afghanistan and head of UNAMA.

No military offense

The Afghan government will stop all offensives against Taliban from June 12-20.

“We will not resort to any kind of firefight against Taliban from 27 of Ramadan until the fifth day of Eid. But our operations will normally be continued against Islamic State and al-Qaida,” General Mohammad Radmanish, spokesperson for the Afghan defense minister, told VOA.

Taliban insurgents announced only three days of a cease-fire, promising not to launch attacks against the Afghan government during that time. Their statement, however, said foreign occupiers are excluded.

U.S. General John Nicholson, commander of U.S. Forces-Afghanistan and NATO-led Resolute Support mission, said the coalition forces will also honor the cease-fire.

“We will adhere to the wishes of Afghanistan for the country to enjoy a peaceful end to the Islamic holy month of Ramadan, and support the search for an end to the conflict,” Nicholson said.

The NATO-led mission also said the cease-fire would not include counterterrorism efforts against Islamic State-Khorasan, al-Qaida and other regional and other international terrorist groups.

Source: Voice of America

World peace at risk as conflicts knocking at doors of Europe: Masood

AJK President Sardar Masood Khan has stressed the need to empower United Nations to play its role for the maintenance of international peace and security. He made these remarks while chairing the second session of the International Peace Studies Conference on Peace, Development and Governance at Vienna today.

He said that world peace is at risk as conflicts are no longer confined to Africa, Middle East, Latin America, South Asia, but are knocking at the doors of Europe.

Sardar Masood Khan said , there is a risk of a large-scale war that should be averted as local conflicts can ignite regional and global conflicts.

He said major powers, because of their political clout should not monopolize decision making on chronic conflicts like Jammu and Kashmir.

He said that the United Nations, in accordance with its mandate, should be allowed and encouraged to seek democratic solutions to disputes and let the people of Kashmir exercise their right to self-determination.

Source: Radio Pakistan

FMs of Algeria, Egypt and Tunisia to discuss Libyan crisis in Algiers today

Algiers (UNA-OIC) � Algerian Foreign Minister Abdelkader Messahel will host Monday Egyptian and Tunisian counterparts Sameh Shoukry and Khemaies Jhinaoui in a tripartite mechanism meeting to discuss developments in Libya.

The Algerian Foreign Ministry said in a statement on Sunday that the meeting comes as part of the continued consultation between the three countries on the current situation in Libya. It added that the three ministers will discuss latest developments in Libya, especially at the political and security levels, as well as ways to strengthen the efforts of their countries to contribute to accelerating the process of resolving the Libyan crisis through dialogue and reconciliation.

It is noteworthy that Egypt has hosted several meetings of Libya’s rival factions to amend the Libyan Political Agreement, signed in Skhirat, Morocco, in December 2015, aimed at ending the conflict in the North African country.

The latest round of negotiation was held in Cairo on 23 March 2018, to discuss unifying Libyan army. The meeting concluded with the participating parties confirming their keenness to move forward to unify the military whose top priority is to maintain Libya’s national security and peace.

Source: International Islamic News Agency

Rs.486.726 m allocated for expansion, up-gradation of 3G/4G services in country

Government has allocated over 486.726 million rupees for expansion and up-gradation of 3G/4G services in the country.

Talking to APP, spokesperson of Ministry of Information Technology and Telecommunication said that total 2658.713 million rupees have been earmarked for eight on-going schemes of Information Technology and Telecommunication Division in the Public Sector Development Programme.

He said ongoing scheme under CPEC include, construction of Cross Border OFC System between China and Pakistan for International Connectivity of voice/Data Traffic and Provision of Seamless GSM Coverage along Karakuram Highway for proposed Gwadar �Kashighar Economic Corridor in Gilgit Baltistan.

Source: Radio Pakistan

Pakistan’s constitution guarantees right to freedom to every citizen: DG PBC

Director General Pakistan Broadcasting Corporation while addressing the international conference of news agencies organized by APP, said that constitution of Pakistan guarantees right to freedom to every citizen.

While talking to our Islamabad correspondent in an exclusive interview he said that Radio Pakistan will also organize such exchange programmes as these exchange programmes play pivotal role and polish the skills of journalists.

Shafqat Jalil said that we have vibrant and free media and due to the fast pace of new media it has brought revolution in our lives.

The DG also said that gate-keeping is an important chapter of Journalism which can not be ignored and it is also imperative for prevention of fake news.

He said that social media has a big impact on our lives and it is playing important role for dissemination of information among the masses.

Source: Radio Pakistan