Burhan gets unprecedented farewell

Srinagar, July 10, 2016 (PPI-OT):In occupied Kashmir, unprecedented scenes were witnessed in Tral town of south Kashmir as thousands of people made a beeline since Friday night to get a glimpse of martyred Hizb-ul-Mujahideen commander, Burhan Muzaffar Wani.

By the end of the day, at least 40 funeral prayers were held at Eidgah in Tral wherein over 1.5 lakh people attended these funerals in turns. Burhan, along with two other militants, was killed Friday evening in Bumborat village of Kokernag in Islamabad district. The news of his death, confirmed after police released pictures of his corpse on social media at around 9 PM Friday evening, took Kashmir valley by storm. Thousands of people had reached Tral town by 11 pm to catch the last glimpse of Burhan. Rains pounded Tral town for hours Friday night and electricity was snapped but the mourners did not move an inch throughout the night. Loudspeakers of local mosques were used to play freedom songs, raise slogans and communicate for all mobile and internet services were soon blocked. After the medico-legal formalities, Burhan’s body was handed over to his family and it was brought in to his home at around 3 am in the wee hours of Saturday morning. In addition to those already present, thousands more started pouring in at Tral by 5 am. At 6 am the body was brought to Eidgah near his home.

A 55-year-old government employee from Pampore said he left his home at 4:30 am and had to walk 10 Kilometres (from Awantipora to Tral) to be a part of the funeral. People came from Pampore, Islamabad, Pulwama, Bijbehara and other parts of south Kashmir. The 50 Kanal Eidgah was packed by 9 am and at 9:30 the first funeral prayer was held. The procession, however, did not stop there and people, including women, elderly people and kids kept pouring in for the rest of the day forcing an overwhelming 40 funeral prayers to be held on insistence of people who arrived late.

As the day progressed, thousands more kept arriving on foot, bikes, trucks, tractors and mini-buses. Bus stand Tral had more than 500 bikes parked inside. At about 12:30 pm the body was again taken to Wani’s Shareefabad home before it was taken back to Eidgah.

Meanwhile, around a dozen mujahideen appeared at the funerals by turns to pay their tributes to their commander. People, in an already surcharged atmosphere, surrounded every militant to try and get a glimpse or touch him. The people kissed the mujahideen and made human chains around them to guard them. They were escorted by people to a safe distance from Eidgah. One of the mujahideen, who was fasting, had to be given water after a crowd descended on him and tried to kiss and hug him suffocating him in the process.

Hundreds of members from the minority Sikh community made a beeline at Eidgah to pay tributes to Wani. At around 2:45 pm, amid pro-freedom slogans and wails and shrieks of women, the Hizb commander was finally laid to rest. He was buried at the martyr’s graveyard near Eidgah.

For more information, contact:
Kashmir Media Service
Email: info@kmsnews.org
Phone: 92-51-4435548, 4435549
Fax: 92-51-4861736