asianetpakistan.com 2017-10-16 05:00:00

Pakistan Deports Turkish Teacher Along With Family

Pakistan has deported the Turkish former director of the PakTurk chain of private schools along with his family, his former colleagues and a lawyer have said.

Mesut Kacmaz, his wife, and two daughters were flown out of Pakistan after having been detained in September in the eastern city of Lahore, former school officials said.

A Pakistani government official who asked not to be identified told Reuters that the family was deported to Turkey over the weekend.

“The Turkish family was taken into custody by a team of security officials,” the official said.

“On Saturday, they were deported to Turkey from Islamabad on a special plane sent by the Turkish government.”

Turkey has claimed the PakTurk chain of schools was linked to Fethullah Gulen, the U.S.-based cleric Ankara blames for orchestrating a failed coup in July 2016.

PakTurk denies any links to Gulen, who himself denies involvement in the attempted coup.

Usama Malik, a lawyer for the Mesut family, told AFP that the deportation had gone ahead despite a ruling by the Lahore High Court directing authorities not to take any action while the petition was still pending.

He also said that Mesut family had been granted asylum in Pakistan as refugees until November 2018.

There was no immediate comment by Pakistani officials.

In November 2016, Pakistani authorities deported dozens of Turkish teachers tied to the PakTurk International Schools and Colleges following a visit from Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

More than 10,000 students are enrolled at PakTurk’s 28 campuses across Pakistan.

Copyright (c) 2015. RFE/RL, Inc. Reprinted with the permission of Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty, 1201 Connecticut Ave NW, Ste 400, Washington DC 20036.

PAKISTANI WRESTLERS HAVE WON TWO GOLD MEDALS IN WORLD BEACH WRESTLING CHAMPIONSHIP IN TURKEY

Water and Power Development Authority wrestlers Inayat Ullah and Muhammad Inam have won two gold medals in World Beach Wrestling Championship.

The event was held in Dalyan, Turkey from 13 to 15 of this month.

According to a press release, both the wrestlers won gold medals in their separate categories for Pakistan. Inayat Ullah grabbed gold medal in minus 70 kg category, while Muhammad Inam also secured gold medal in minus 90 kg category.

WAPDA Chairman, and WAPDA Sports Board officials have congratulated wrestlers on their excellent performance.

Source: Radio Pakistan

Four-Way Afghan Peace Talks Set to Resume in Oman

ISLAMABAD Afghanistan, Pakistan, China and the United States are set to resume four-way discussions Monday in Oman in a renewed bid to seek a politically negotiated settlement to the Afghan war.

The meeting of the so-called Quadrilateral Cooperation Group, or QCG, in the Gulf state is taking place after a gap of 16 months. Senior foreign ministry officials from the four nations will lead their respective delegations at the talks.

The objective is to bring the warring factions within Afghanistan to the negotiating table. It is upon all members of QCG to meet and decide on how to move forward in this context, Pakistani Foreign Ministry spokesman Nafees Zakaria said on the eve of Monday’s meeting.

The QCG was launched in January 2016. The aim was for members to use their respective influence on the Afghan government and the Taliban insurgency to nudge them to the negotiating table.

But the peace process broke down after a fifth session in May of that year, when a U.S. drone attack killed the Taliban Chief, Mullah Akhtar Mansoor, while he was traveling through the Pakistani province of Baluchistan.

The insurgents’ reluctance to engage in peace talks with the Afghan government and Kabul’s strained relations with Islamabad also hampered previous QCG sessions from making any significant headway.

While officials have reported a thaw in bilateral relations following recent high-level meetings between Afghan and Pakistani leaders, the Taliban has reiterated its stance of not engaging in peace negotiations with Kabul until all American and NATO forces withdraw from Afghanistan.

A senior insurgent official told VOA his group has nothing to do with the QCG process.

Nobody has contacted us, nor are we participating in this meeting, the official said requesting anonymity as he was not authorized to publicly discuss Taliban political matters.

The Islamist insurgency currently controls or contests more than 40 percent of Afghan territory and continues to make battlefield gains despite intensified ground operations and airstrikes by U.S.-backed Afghan security forces.

Pakistani officials blamed Washington for scuttling the four-way process by eliminating Mansoor.

For their part, Afghan and U.S. officials complained Islamabad was not doing enough to prevent the Taliban from using sanctuaries on Pakistani soil to orchestrate insurgent attacks in Afghanistan, charges Pakistan denied.

Diplomatic sources told VOA that participating nations this time have agreed to revive the QCG process with a commitment to maintain secrecy of its proceedings.

Source: Voice of America

SINDH GOVT ESTABLISHES FREE LEGAL AID CENTRES

The Human Rights Department of Sindh Government has allocated thirty six million rupees in the current financial year to provide assistance to the people in human rights cases.

Official sources informed that the department is establishing Free Legal Aid Centres at district level to provide legal help to the people facing human rights cases.

These centres are being established in Dadu, Larkana, Ghotki, Jacobabad and Sukkur districts while a Human Rights Complaint Cell is also being established in Hyderabad where people would register their complaints.

The Department is also launching awareness campaign to make people aware of human rights and how to get help in such cases.

Source: Radio Pakistan

Bomb Kills Pakistani Troops Seeking Captors of Freed Western Family

ISLAMABAD Officials in Pakistan say a roadside bomb attack Sunday killed at least four soldiers and wounded several others near the Afghan border.

The troops were part of a search party deployed in the Kurram tribal district to hunt down the handlers of a kidnapped American-Canadian family Pakistani forces rescued from captivity last week on a tip from U.S. intelligence, the army said.

The Pakistani Taliban took credit for plotting the bomb attack and gave a much higher death toll for government soldiers than what was officially reported. The militant group often issues inflated casualty tolls for such attacks.

American Caitlan Coleman, 31, her Canadian husband Joshua Boyle, 34, and their three young children were freed Wednesday hours after kidnappers transported them into Kurram from across the porous Afghan border.

Upon arriving in Toronto, Boyle revealed the captors, members of the Taliban-linked Haqqani network, had raped his wife and killed one of couple’s four children, an infant daughter.

The Afghan Taliban Sunday rejected Boyle’s charges as false and fabricated, saying they are enemy-driven propaganda to defame the insurgent group. In a statement to the media, Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said Coleman had a “natural miscarriage.”

Pakistani officials said the driver and three armed men escorting the hostages fled to a nearby Afghan refugee camp after troops shot out the tires of their vehicles.

U.S. President Donald Trump praised and thanked Pakistani leaders for rescuing the family and described the action as a positive moment in bilateral relations, which through the years have been periodically marred by mutual distrust and suspicion.

Source: Voice of America